At her 2-week checkup she had already gained quite a bit of weight and was 8 lbs 6 oz. I can't wait to find out what she is at her 2 month (which is the next one)... she eats constantly and Esch and I both think she is looking much bigger (Esch says "thicker" - haha!). In terms of milestones, she is doing things very early. Her first real social smiles began at only 3 weeks! Now they are frequent and absolutely adorable. I am finding that things are NOT just "old hat" with the second baby. I had thought that maybe all of those little things wouldn't be as exciting as they were with William, but I was very wrong. The smiles, little coos, her mastery of tracking objects with her eyes, lifting her head during tummy time - all just as amazing with Gwendolyn.
She's sleeping well. We always gets her longest stretch at night as her first sleep, which is nice. Lately it's been from about 9:30 or 10 to 3:30 or sometimes 4. She eats, and unlike her brother, who would fall back to sleep right after those middle of the night feedings, she is usually wide awake for at least an hour. I just keep her in bed with me and read my Kindle while burping and rocking her, and when she finally conks out, I verrrry carefully move her back into the Pack n' Play (playpen for those unfamiliar with the name) in our room where she sleeps. She usually wakes up again at 6 or so. Dad is a big help during the first waking of the night and changes her while I get ready to nurse. We are a good team, and Gwen is a good baby!
On her 1-month birthday
William loves Gwen. His reaction overall has been about what we expected - there are definitely some episodes of acting out (usually while I am stuck on the couch nursing or otherwise giving my attention to the baby), and we've had a few potty accidents, but nothing terrible. There are tantrums and whininess, but I think it's mostly just terrible twos/threes and not related to the baby. He is actually very sweet with her - when she cries, he says, "It's ok!" and refers to her as "my baby." He likes to rest his hand on her head and feel her fuzzy hair (which of course makes me a big nervous every time), and is very interested in all of the daily baby activities like bath time and diaper changes.
The other day he was being especially gentle, so I let him hold her and of course had to snap a few pictures of the occasion. I think that they will both love to see these someday. It's so sweet to imagine how they will be together growing up. I'm so, so, so thankful for my two beautiful babies and the fact that they have each other.










:)
ReplyDelete