Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of School

Today was a big day for us. William had his first day of school - ever. He's in a 2.5 year old class with 9 kids, and 2 teachers, Ms. Nichelle (yes, with an N) and Ms. Stacey.

I lost some sleep this weekend over how today would go - would he cry? Would he be nice to his new little friends? Would he (gulp) listen to his teachers?

Everything went about as well as it could, I think.

Here he is, posing before we walked out the door. Unfortunately it was a drizzly, gray morning, so we did these inside. The school doesn't have kids use backpacks - on their orientation day, they decorated their special buckets which they bring each day.





In those last two he's giving me his version of "smile and say 'SCHOOL!'"... interesting interpretation! As you can tell, he was excited.



Waiting outside his room, ready to go in...




When his teacher opened the door, he RAN inside. First one in! That made me feel so much better - he was really, really excited. He started to float around the room, tentatively checking things out:




This one does make me tear up a little. He was smiling, but tugging on his little shorts and peeking around.


After I gave him a quick hug goodbye, this is how I left him: playing Play-Doh with his friend Sarah. 



When I picked him up 2.5 hours later and asked him what he did, he said "Played wif kids." It took some coaxing (and I appreciate the note from the teachers about what they had planned that day so I knew what to ask!) but he did eventually elaborate to say that he played in the kitchen, wore a fireman's helmet, sat and learned how to cross his legs, listened to a book about a cat, was asked to sit back down (ha!), and had a snack. 

I'd call it a success! He seemed exhausted when we got home, but is now currently yelling down from his room (where he's supposed to be napping) that he wants me to "come open this door."

I can't believe that he's had his first day of school. First of so many more firsts! First of 15 years or so until high school graduation. I will always remember him holding my hand, and then RUNNING excitedly into that   room. Our little guy really, really isn't so little any more.





1 comment: