Monday, November 8, 2010

Countdown to One: Love, Daddy




Dear William,

You have brought so much joy to this family since your arrival a year ago. Even months before your birth, the effect you had on your mother and I was substantial. You were in our hearts and in our thoughts long before we first saw your face, your smile, your fingers, and your toes. We love you.

The best moments of my day are the first few minutes when I get home from work. Most days, I text your mom to let her know I am almost home. We are currently living in a small, second floor apartment in Macungie, PA, so, when your mom gets my text, she brings you to the window to wave to me as I walk in. I love seeing the excitement and happiness on your face. It lets me know that while you are so well taken care of by your mom, I'm important to you as well. You wave, you scream with excitement, and you laugh and smile when you see me below.

As I open the door Georgia begins to bark and I can hear your screams of happiness. Mom says to you, “Who is it? Who is at the door?” You know it is me, and with Georgia you crawl to the gate separating the living room from the stairs. As I come toward you your smile shines through the bars of the gate. Happy sounds come flowing from your mouth as you attempt to evade Georgia’s ferociously swinging tail. “Eh! Eh!” you say to me with arms extended to the air above. Once in my arms, your head turns left and right looking around with a smile that only a one year old could have. You laugh when I kiss your mom, and kick with excitement as we kneel together to pet your dog.

Those sixty seconds a day, 300 seconds a week, 15,000 seconds a year make up the best and most precious moments a father could have. As you get older, get busier, gain new interests, gain a sister or brother, and have other things to do – as those 15,000 seconds become 10,000 and then 5,000 - I will always think back to this past year (and hopefully the next few) and smile at the little boy who has grown into a young man and made us so proud. We’ll always have time together and remain close, but I know the sixty seconds a day that I enjoy so much right now won’t last forever. I have treasured the last 15,000 and look forward to the next.

Happy birthday, little monster.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment