Sunday, July 11, 2010

Goodbye to our first home

Dear William,

The day after tomorrow we're leaving Texas - leaving Austin, leaving Montoro Drive.

Your Daddy and I moved here as newlyweds, excited to escape NYC and try out a new town for a few years. We have been so happy here. We became a family here.

We started looking for homes in Spring of 2008, and the house on Montoro Drive was the first one that we loved immediately when we walked through the door. We loved the big windows, the backyard for our "baby" at the time, Georgia. We didn't know or even have an inkling that in less than a year, we'd be expecting you.

We haven't even lived in this house for 2 and a half years, but have made so many memories here. I found out we were pregnant here. I had to wait 24 hours because your Daddy was out of town for work, and when he walked through this front door, I told him the biggest news of our lives.

I was pregnant with you here. It was the best 9 months of my life up until that time! We were giddy with excitement about the future, and dreamed about what you would be like, and how much we would love you.

We cleaned out the 2nd guest room here in preparation. Your Daddy built your crib and furniture here. We picked curtains, doggie themed decorations, and waited patiently. We filled bookshelves with little books, and an empty closet with little clothes.

In the early morning hours of November 9th, 2009, I went into labor here. We walked out the front door with our hospital bag and pillows in hand, and knew that in a few days we'd be coming home carrying something tiny and wonderful.

Besides your actual birthday, I think that November 11th, the day we brought you home, was the next best day of my life. It was sunny and 70 degrees, even in November. The house was quiet and was waiting for you. We walked you through all of the rooms, introduced you to your doggie, and spent our first night as a family together at home.

You smiled at me for the first time in our bedroom with light blue walls. Your Daddy read you a book every night in your nursery. We had your first Christmas here, and you met your Grandparents in these rooms.

I can't believe we're leaving, but I know that wherever we go together, it will be always be home. Someday we'll bring you to Austin to visit, and drive by your first house. Maybe another family will have little ones, and be as happy here as we have been.

Love,

Mommy


Daddy bringing you home from the hospital


Mommy holding you for the first time at home


You, at 8 months, playing happily by the front windows

3 comments:

  1. oh what a good post! good luck with your move, did you all find a new home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, that was so beautiful and what touching stories William will read when he gets older. He will understand how loved he is and what amazing, loving parents he has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too cute. I just teared up!

    ReplyDelete