Friday, April 1, 2011

I love April Fools' Day

Growing up, I loved April 1st. My parents and grandparents would always play little tricks on us. It entertained my brothers and I to no end.

April 1st, 2009 happened to be my first OB appointment when pregnant with William. It was a long wait from getting a positive test in March until that first trip to the Dr.'s office to see if everything was ok, and that there was in fact a little baby coming to join our family. What made the wait even more torturous was that we were saving the news until MAY - Mother's Day - to tell our families in person. So Esch and I had this wonderful "little" secret that we knew was going to change our lives forever.

April Fools' Day 2009 was, at that point, the single most exciting day of my life. Esch was coming from work, and almost missed the first ultrasound due to traffic and parking at the hospital. You know, the first one - the one where you get to see your little bean for the first time, and see that flickering heartbeat. The nurses and Dr. were so nice and held off on beginning the ultrasound until the Daddy-to-be came flying into the lobby, and they ushered him quickly back to my room.

A few seconds later, the screen turned on, and we saw this:


And the world stopped. Everything was perfect so far. There was our baby. The first time we "saw" our William. There was his little tiny heart beating away. It was shocking, and amazing, and wonderful. I felt out of my body, and giddy. We were so happy.

And then the months flew by, and life happened, and it was April Fools' Day 2010.

And this was the little face we saw every day:


And now it's April 1, 2011. Here he is.






No tricks here. Happy April Fools' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment