Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm a Watermelon.


37 weeks.
I can't believe we are on the last "fruit" comparison! I remember seeing the watermelon at the end of the list and almost not believing that something so huge could possibly be walking around with me every day. But here we are. Today I am considered full term.

3 weeks until the due date, and if he came at any time now, it would be fine! I feel really thankful and relieved that we've made it to this point.

At week 37, your pregnancy is considered full term, meaning baby is likely to thrive after birth. Baby spends these last weeks in preparation for the outside world… meaning careful refinement of the blink, suck, inhale and exhale. If (okay, as) you worry about giving birth, consider what it’s like for the little one. During the journey out of your womb, baby will produce more stress hormones than any other time in life.

At last week's appointment, everything was still right on track. Dr. Cutler said that she doesn't like patients to go more than a week past their due dates, so if William is not here 4 days after our date, she actually set an induction date for Saturday November 21. I would obviously prefer that he comes on his own, but there are risks for the baby when they are past due, and it IS nice to have a last possible "end date" in mind! She said that she likes to start inductions at night, so that I could potentially (hopefully!) sleep through some of the beginning of labor, and that he would likely be born on the 22nd.

My last day of work before maternity leave is Friday the 13th (let's hope he does NOT arrive on that date, for superstitious reasons)... I can't believe how soon this is all coming up.

Please cross your fingers that most of you are wrong (in the "when will he arrive" poll!) and that he does come a little before, or right on his due date! I feel ready. Getting bigger by the minute (as you can see from this week's lovely photo, in which I not only look like I am carrying a watermelon, but am one myself!). I'm pretty uncomfortable; but I am almost giddy, I'm so excited.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, any time now!!

    I hope you are able to stay comfortable in the home stretch! :)

    ReplyDelete